Find my Sh*T!!! – The lost iphone saga

Ok, we have all done it.  Where the hell is my phone?  Where’s the ipad?   Home alone trying to find it and you have no way of calling it because, well, no land line.

 

A week or so ago I finally replaced my Jurassic period thermostat with something a little newer.  I know, weird right.  I do all this stuff and I had a thermostat that was 1 step above this

old_honeywell_t87

So I got a 2gig CT100 with z-wave.
61cUaIUZOLL._SL1024_

 

 

55553046So as any self respecting geek would do.  As soon as I got it hooked up, I tied it in to my home automation system.

 

So I have basic items configured, mainly so I can see the temps ect.  But there is another thing we can do with this.  Got the idea from the thread

https://community.openhab.org/t/find-my-iphone-from-my-nest/5663

If you look you will see I have contributed and written a simple php service for finding an iphone 🙂

Here is the github for that simple php service https://github.com/brunkj/FindMyIphonePHPService
So I have my PHP service setup.  I have my home automation system.  I have my z-wave thermostat.  I have rythm.  I have style..  $%^& what’s wrong with me…..

So I created a simple rule


rule "Find iPhone via thermostat"
  when
    Item HVAC_CoolSetPoint changed to 69
  then
    sendHttpGetRequest("http://xx.xx.xx.xx/findmyiphone/?phone=jason")
    sendCommand(HVAC_CoolSetPoint, 75)
  end

 

Simple description.  Set the thermostat to 69.. hehe hehe 69….  {giggle} 61832143

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Ok, I’m better.  Set to 69.  Openhab sees it’s now set to 69, realizes that’s way out of character and runs the rule “Find iPhone via thermostat” which sends the call to my php service, then sets the temp back to our standard 75.

I am implementing 1 additional rule for 68 degrees for the wife’s phone.

Whole Home Audio Rig

So a while back (let’s not talk about how long ago) I found the site of HazyMat

Multi-zone audio: a discussion of the options

He seemed to have found a great solution for doing some work on whole home audio.  This is something I have been trying to find a good solution for myself.

I decided to test this out myself using the XAP 800.  xap800_l

 

 

 

maxresdefaultI picked this thing up on ebay for $24 bucks.  So I did some testing and was able to do some audio routing via serial port which means I can use Openhab to control the audio matrix.  Not the same matrix.  But as I have shown before, the connectors might be a pain in the butt to try to wire everything up.

ClearOne XAP-800 Professional Audio Conferencing System Pic 4

Screw down terminals are great but not convenient if you have it mounted in a rack.  Which is what I wanted to do with mine.

So how do we make this better?  A patch panel!!!
19-inch_rackmount_Ethernet_switches_and_patch_panels

So I started looking around.  I could do a keystone jack patch panel.  But then doing rca keystone jacks were going to be way more expensive than I wanted to spend.  $24 bucks for the audio rig and Im looking at $100 bucks for the patch panel….. NOPE!

So here is what I decided to do.  Use a 2u blank rack plate.  Like this one.  72621Buddy 069of mine had one laying around.  So far $0.  I know what you are thinking.  “Hey genius you don’t have any holes…..”

 

I know.  I got it.  Relax.  I busted out the blue painters tape and made some markings for the holes.  IMG_0678

 

Now off to the drill press.  Few drillings later we have swiss cheese!!

IMG_0679Had a super cheap pack of RCA jacks show up.

81DOZmuhh9L._SL1500_
Initially I was planning on doing all my cable management through the middle, so I had red on top and black on the bottom.  But then because I had the top and IMG_0687bottom row offset from each other it didn’t make sense.  So I ended up swapping them around.  I then soldered speaker wire to the back of each jack.  It took a while, but it was worth it.  Wired up to the screw terminals I now had a nice pretty panel.

IMG_0937

 

So I wanted to get things labelled up.  But my label maker is junk.  The sticky tape just falls off.  So I could paint.  But then it looks messy.  So then it hit me.  Vinyl!!!

I was able to pick up a craft cutter for super cheap (<$35) and designed up some labels, ordered some white vinyl.

CUT!!!

IMG_0939A little transfer paper and a crooked eye and I now have some much nicer labels.

IMG_0943

 

Now it’s all mounted up in my rack nice and pretty.  I have my main computer in my office routed through the device as an input source, and then my main speakers as an output.  Then a media center raspberry pi routed as another input.  It’s now mixed with the audio from my main computer.  Both computers using the same speakers.